CRU will host a Leadership Forum: Inclusive Schools and Inclusive Communities with Canadian leaders on community inclusion,Dr Bruce Uditsky and Dr Anne Hughson from Inclusion Alberta, providing keynote presentations.
The venue will be the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Boulevard Level (Grey St Entry)
The day is designed to allow participants to take stock of how far we have come – and how far we have yet to go – in pursuing genuinely inclusive lives in our local communities. It will help us reflect on what continues to challenge and elude us in the pursuit of inclusive education and inclusive communities. There will be the chance to reflect on our own failures and successes as well as learning from our international guests. As we stand poised to roll-out the NDIS in Qld, it will provide a timely opportunity to analyse how we can move from the rhetoric of inclusion to genuine community inclusion for all.
The forum will discuss:
- International evidence and examples of success in inclusive education from early childhood through to post-secondary education
- Innovative and successful initiatives in employment, recreation and community living
- Ways self-directed supports can be used to promote inclusive lives
- The crucial role of families in advocating for inclusion and how family leadership can be strengthened
- How we might develop effective partnerships to enable people with disability to take their rightful place as contributing citizens.