FAQs on Royal Commission

FAQs About The Disability Royal Commission

What is a Royal Commission?

A Royal Commission is a formal inquiry established under the Royal Commissions Act 1902. It is the highest form of inquiry on matters of public importance in Australia. Royal Commissions are usually established when there is a matter of great importance and complexity to be considered.

Why do we need a Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability?

We need a Royal Commission because we know that people with disability are more likely to experience violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation than people who do not have a disability.

While the Royal Commission will provide further specific advice in the coming months the common means of these terms are:

  • Violence – if someone is hurting you physically
  • Abuse – if someone is treating you badly
  • Neglect – if someone is not helping you the way they are supposed to help you
  • Exploitation – if someone is taking advantage of you.

What will the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability do?

The Royal Commission will make recommendations about ways we can stop people with disability experiencing violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation. It will look at all of the places where people with disability receive services and support including organisations such as schools, workplaces, businesses, prisons, disability service providers and charities.

Who are the Commissioners?

Commissioners are senior people who have been appointed to the Royal Commission and the Chair of the Royal Commission is a judge.

Commissioners are not part of the Government. They are completely independent and the Government cannot and will not tell them what to do. Several of the Commissioners have lived experience of disability.

The Chair of the Royal Commission is the Hon Ronald Sackville AO QC and he will be supported by the following people:

  • Ms Barbara Bennett PSM
  • Dr Rhonda Galbally AC
  • Ms Andrea Mason OAM
  • Ms Alistair McEwin
  • The Hon John Ryan AM

When will the Royal Commission commence and how long will it go for?

The Royal Commission is currently underway.

It is expected that the Royal Commission will last three years. The Federal Government has asked the Royal Commission to provide an interim report by the 30 October 2020 and a final report by 29 April 2022.

How will the Royal Commission impact Multicap?

As a provider of disability services across Queensland and New South Wales, Multicap will provide information and suggestions that will assist the Royal Commission in their important work in identifying where services and support for people with disability can be improved.

The Royal Commission is important for disability services providers like ourselves. As an organisation committed to ongoing improvement, we see the Royal Commission as an opportunity to listen, learn and look at how we can continue to improve and ensure the safeguarding of our customers.

We welcome the opportunity to participate in and support the Royal Commission. We are committed to engaging openly and transparently with the Commission, and to responding to any requests in a timely manner.

How will the Royal Commission impact me?

Multicap will continue to deliver the highest quality service to our customers throughout the Royal Commission.

The Royal Commission may be unsettling for customers, families and carers. Multicap will do everything we can to support them through this process by keeping them informed about the Royal Commission’s work.

If you have any concerns about the Royal Commission or issues you would like to raise, please contact our Customer Service Team.

Is support available?

The Australian Government is funding counselling and advocacy support services for people with disability who have experienced violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation, and anyone who is engaging with or affected by the Disability Royal Commission. These services are free, independent and confidential.

For support or to find out more, call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 or visit the Department of Social Services website.

How can I get involved if I want to?

The Royal Commission has provided guidance material which outlines the process for submissions and other information to be provided to the Commission on their Submissions page. The Commission will issue guidance on the timeframes which will have to be met.

If you have something you would like Multicap to consider please contact our Customer Service Team.

Subscribe to our newsletters and you will have everything you need to know about what's happening at Multicap, right at your fingertips.